Monday, August 2, 2010

At this rate, we'll be 90 before we finish this challenge

      "I refuse to go on another quest until I see more progress on that scarf," I said after Jeremy pushed at me to play his game again.
      "Oh com'mon," He said. "They don't take so long."
      "Yeah, yeah, I know how this will work. I'll get to level 20, and you'll still have three rows of crochet," I replied.
      "So?" he laughed. "I don't see what's wrong with that! Besides you need to keep blogging, don't you? You'd be able to blog about your latest quest."
      "Ha! Right. As if. I'm not falling for that line of illogical reasoning. So, our ten loyal readers will just have to wait for the next entry. I'm not letting you use them as an excuse to make me play the game when you're not even keeping up YOUR end of the bargain."

      I let that hang in the air for a little bit, turned on the television and sat down to spin.  About fifteen minutes later, Jeremy sauntered through the livingroom, casually picked up his crochet and sat back down.
      "Hey, where's my hook? I can't find my hook."
     I just raised my eyebrows at him. Yeah, I see where this is going, so sad, I don't know where my hook is, I can't crochet. Oh well I tried. Uh-huh. I know you soooo well, mister.  "I put it in my case over there with my knitting needles.
      The expression on Jeremy's face was priceless. It was an Oh crap I've been found out! kind of face.  He opened up my silver case, and took out his hook. Looked at his work, turned it upside down, backwards, forwards, and then looked at me, his eyes saying "help me." 
     "See," I couldn't help gloating a bit, "You've forgotten already. That's what happens when you don't keep at it."  I took his hook, and stuck it into the loop. "Chain one and turn," I said.
     "Oh yeah!" He said.

     Normally I'd have suspected the 'helpless' routine, but Jeremy absolutely refused to let me touch his crochet.  Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty sure as the youngest in his family, he  not only knows the secret handshake to enter the 'baby of the family' clubhouse, but also all the tricks: "How to make my older brother/sister do all the work/chores," "How to look helpless and make others do stuff for you", and "How to get out of trouble just with a smile."  Jeremy may even have written a few of the handbooks for the future generations. Our youngest Hannah certainly has read "Weird Works Well, a brief guide on distracting your parents/siblings/teachers."  So, when Jer wouldn't let me 'show' him how to crochet again, I was pretty sure he wasn't trying to play me. He really did forget.

     "Now put the hook into that first stitch. No, remember how you have to hold the hook." He wrapped the yarn around his finger a few times and tried to get it started. Dropping the piece a few times, he finally successfully stuck the hook into the first stitch and drew a loop through. Then he fought with the yarn some more as he tried to pull it through both loops on his hook.  After a few stitches like this, however, he finally found a rhythm.

     Once he successfully completed three rows, he said, "Wow. This is going to take a long time at this rate." 
      "Yeah, that's why I'm going to show you double crochet after you get ten rows.  And once you get ten rows, I'll do some more quests. So, are you going to crochet some more?"
     "No. I think that'll do it for now."  And he set his six rows of crochet to the side.

That was about a week and a half ago.  And I still haven't done another quest.  


Just six rows, sitting there sad, lonely, and forgotten...

No comments:

Post a Comment