Friday, September 10, 2010

Does talking about playing count?

        Well, it's my birthday. The pressure is on in this house to get a 'free account."  Driving home from vacation last weekend, the entire family was abuzz over the changes on LOTRO.

        "So, Daddy, Can I have a membership?" Ruth asked.
        "Sure. What are you going to be?"
        "I want to be a Captain."
        "Ok. How about you, Joshua?"
        "I think I'll be a Warden or maybe a Rune Keeper."
         "Hey, and I'll be a Healer," Jeremy said.  He paused for a moment, and I knew, just knew what was coming next. "And if you set up your own free account, you could be a Hunter, and we could have our own little fellowship!"
         "Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!" came the chorus from the back of the van.
          "Can I have a membership?" Hannah asked.
           "I dunno, Hannah," Jeremy answered. "I think you might be too little to manage all the controls.
I seriously thought he was under-estimating her, as we all do, but wisely kept my mouth shut. After all, he still hadn't figure out that we have at least four players and only three computers.

        Hey...now...wait a minute.... And that's when I figured out he had conned me.  I was actually considering playing this stupid game with my family.  Smart man that he is,  he decided to sic my offspring on me, knowing I have trouble resisting their charms.  Ok, I lie. I can resist them pretty well, most times, but the enthusiasm for a family fellowship was contagious, and I slid right in line, just like he had hoped. I pondered this revelation while the family continued plotting and planning domination over middle-earth.

       "But..." I interrupted the LOTRO jargon spoken over and around my head. The van became very silent anticipating my words.  "I'd have to start all over," I whined. "I don't want to start all over."
        "What. You're a level 3?" Josh scoffed.
        "I'm a level seven, thank you very much, and I'd really like to not repeat that nonsense again," I said.
        "It'd only take you about forty minutes to get your new character to Shammel's level." Jeremy said.
        I rolled my eyes in response.

        See how he does that? Not 'a new character' but 'your new character' as if it's already a done deal. I suppose if I'm already entertaining these thoughts, he has a right to assume it's a done deal.

       Sigh.  Now I just have to wonder how 'hot' of a hunter I want to make this guy. And what should I name him this time?

No comments:

Post a Comment